Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Double Deuce

Well, it looks like there have actually been two weekends go by since I last posted, so today's post is quite simple:

- the weekend before last
- last weekend
- an amusing anecdote

The weekend before last was quite exciting. It involved a lot of crawling around in a 130 degree attic. Corri's brother, Gary, and his family came up and spent the weekend with us. I had to work on Saturday, but that evening we went out to dinner and then got to work. We worked til 2:00 that morning, then again all Sunday morning. We worked until about the time Corri got home from church, which was 2:00 in the afternoon. As you can imagine, there were some wiring issues that needed to be resolved. Nothing urgently dangerous like before, but things that still needed to be done. There were three switches that had no apparent purpose, but were still hot. That's not a good sign anyway, but especially when the previous owner was an apparent moron. So we capped off two of the switches and rewired the third to the ceiling fan so that we now have separate wall switches for the light and fan. We also spent quite a bit of time following wires in the attic to see where they went and to make sure it was all safe.
In addition to all that, we also ran a cable from the cable box directly to the office. Our internet was really slow, due to poor connections and a half dozen splitters. So now our internet is quick and reliable. We also re-wired a phone jack that wasn't working. Upon investigation, we found the phone wire in the attic with another wire spliced into it (in the shape of a t), and guess what the connection was made out of - SCOTCH TAPE. I'm not kidding. Scotch freaking tape. I guess the moron had never heard of wire nuts. So we put a box up there and re-wired it correctly.
Other projects done that weekend included putting in a new garbage disposal (which happens to be my favorite kitchen appliance, and the only one that I really know how to use), fixing a toilet so that we didn't have to hold the handle down for 10 seconds (yes, only 10 seconds but it seems like 20 minutes when you're actually doing it), and fixing the bathtup so that it will actually hold water. Quite a productive weekend, I'd say. It would have taken me at least a month to do what was done in one weekend with Gary here.

Last weekend, I had to work again on Saturday (only 3 more weeks of Mon-Sat). After I got off, Randall and his family came out for pizza, swimming, and other fun things. It was a good time. On Sunday we drove clear the heck out to Gilbert to buy a buffet table thing that Corri found on Craig's List. We actually got a good deal on it, so I guess it was worth the drive. Plus I got to put my truck to use.

So before I wrap this thing up, here is the amusing anecdote that I promised. Apparently the city of Glendale came and visited today when I was at work. They told Corri that there was a complaint about our yard. The rain has created a bit of a weed problem on the side of our house. I was actually out there yesterday pulling them, but I didn't get finished. Anyway, I would normally be embarrassed to share that with you, except that the Glendale representative informed my wife that the complaint was made by someone who had basically driven our whole neighborhood and turned in a list of all the houses that were unacceptable. She said she had a lot of houses to visit. Apparently the complainer is really bored or something. If only I knew who it was, I would offer him/her a job...pulling weeds.

Well if you think my house is a mess, or if you would like to come to my house and pull some weeds, go ahead and e-mail me (or leave a comment). You're reading The Nathan and Corri Story. If you need me, I'll be outside.

7 comments:

Heather said...

"Scotch freaking tape." Ha, ha, ha, ha!

Adam Jensen said...

he he I found you in the world of blogs :) the mormon blogging world is so small :) Can't wait to see that baby!!!

Michelle and Javier said...

Hey! I found you too! I don't know who to talk to...Nathan...remember me :) I hope it's ok to add you to my list of buddies :) Congrats on the little bun in the oven!

Susan said...

What a pleasant surprise to find a comment from you on my blog! We miss you in YW! It took them FOREVER to find a replacement for you (that's because you're such a hard act to follow!)- poor Anita was all by herself for a few months. Anyway, she now has a great advisor. :) So, you're coming up due here real soon right? Next month? I'm so excited for you! I look forward to baby pics soon. :)

Melissa Rees said...

Yay! You found our blog! You are so tiny! My stomach got way huge last week. Can't wait to have the little guy here! Have you thought of a name yet?

Nunes Family said...

Corri, Iam so gald you found me!! I can't belive your baby is almost here. Congrats on it being a BOY! They are so much fun.

Reeds said...

Hey Corri,
I found your blog - congrats on the baby coming soon you will be a great mom. Tell Gary and Heidi I said hello.