(Keep the "my blog is my journal" mindset with this one, folks...I'm just writing for myself here. Nothing too exciting going on I just want to remember a few moments from this week.)
Tonight is one of those nights where my kids (plus the extra 2 I'm watching for a week) are sleeping, the house is quiet and I can't help but have a heart full of love and gratitude for these little blessings in my life. And they are MY LIFE! It wasn't a perfect or even easy day but it had enough of those little moments that make you just so grateful for the life you have.
My absolute favorite time with Tanner is bedtime. Ha ha...like every parent, right? But that's actually not why. Anyone who knows Tanner knows he is wild, fun, crazy, hyperactive...all of the above. But some nights as I'm tucking him in and he's FINALLY settling down to sleep, we'll just have these wonderful little moments together. He says some of the most adorable things I've ever heard come out of a 3 year old's mouth. I really need to start writing all of them down because it happens pretty frequently.
One of the songs I like to sing to him at bedtime is The Way You Look Tonight. If you've been under a rock for the last few decades and don't know what song I'm talking about, here are the lyrics. Or even better you could listen to my FAVORITE version of it here while you read the rest of the story. Ha ha...it will add to the whole mood of what I'm writing. :) This song describes how I feel about my children perfectly and I've gotten a little choked up a time or two as I sing it to them when I'm having one of those "I LOVE being a mommy" kinda days. Don't make fun.
Anyway, I've sung it to him quite a few times without any discussion or anything but a week or so ago he started asking me what all the different lines mean. So first he says, "Mom, what's awflee (awfully) low?" So I said something like, "it means you're really sad." Then he says, "And what's world ascold?" (world is cold) I told him, "the song is trying to say that if I'm ever feeling sad and cold and lonely, all I have to do is think of your little face and I will 'feel a glow' or feel happy in my heart." He seemed pretty happy with this description because he smiled really big, put his hands on my cheeks, closed his eyes and whispered, "keep singing". So I finished the song again and left for the night.
Well, tonight I was singing it to him and he starts singing along with me...almost word for word! I was so impressed at his memory and especially for such an adult song! We're not talkin' Wheels On The Bus here! After we finished the song has asked me what "never never change" means. I explained how I love him just the way he is so he should never try to be different. And as cute as ever he goes, "Awwwwww" as if he had just seen a cute little puppy or something. Too sweet. Now you can see why I LOVE bedtime with him. I usually don't get moments like this with him any other time because he is just so BUSY!!!
One very small moment with Avie was actually today in Relief Society. I was holding her as I was listening to the lesson and she was just talking up a storm! In her sweet little baby way. It's too bad I can't understand her because she looked like she was telling a GREAT story. I know this is nothing too big or exciting but she's growing so much, so fast, and she has become so animated and interactive lately. I was sitting in a room full of other women so I was trying to be discreet but she was being so cute I just couldn't help but to hug and kiss and love on her then and there. Nate even made a comment after church as we were trying to put her down for a nap that she was in such a good mood he couldn't even get her to settle down to sleep or take her pacifier cause she was grinning from ear to ear. He said something like, "It's hard to be mad or frustrated that she won't go to sleep when she's in such a good mood!" Pretty sure I have the smiliest baby alive!
So there you have it. Sorry for the least interesting blog post ever. But I know I (and my children) will appreciate it later. And now I need to go to bed and thank Heavenly Father for trusting me with these precious babies...right after I sneak in their rooms one more time to see the way they look tonight. ;)
Sunday, September 18, 2011
The Way They Look Tonight
Posted by Corri at 11:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That was such a cute story about Tanner! I love that you sing him songs! Reminds me of me making you sing to me when we would hang out at your house! LOL!
I just loved that part how he sings along with you! Too stinkin cute!
What do you mean uninteresting??? This was one of my favorite posts EVER. I am not exaggerating at all. I did happen to listen to the song as I read (it was mostly unintentional because I was curious what version was your favorite and just let it keep playing) and it totally added to the feeling I got as I read. This was SO SO sweet and really touched me. Let's just say that if you asked me if teared up, I would neither confirm nor deny. Anyway, it made me excited to have kids and I just loved it.
Oh, and I love YOU!
Totally not lame, it's nice to have things written down where you can remember. And your kids will love it someday!
What a sweet, sweet post, and what darling, wonderful grandchildren I have! They are lucky to have parents like you and Nathan. :)
Post a Comment