Monday, September 21, 2009

ONE

It's hard to believe that our sweet little Tanner is already one year old! His birthday was a couple of weeks ago but I am just getting around to posting pictures. Here is a little poem I wrote in honor of the most precious gift I've ever been given.


What is it about this baby
That makes me love him so?
Is it big blue baby eyes
Or his tiny little toes?
Was it that very first sweet cry
Or that first big belly laugh?
Or could it be the way he always
Seems to fall asleep in my lap?
Could it be the rise and fall
Of his little tiny chest
As I saw in his room
When I snuck in to watch my baby rest?
Those ten little fingers
Those big baby cheeks.
The first time he walks
The first time he speaks.
All good reasons to love him so
but I really need just one
The best reason to love this child
is because he's my sweet son!
We tried to make Tanner's birthday so special but it was difficult considering he was sick! We had intended on having a few family members over and having a little intimate party but that didn't work out. But I think it ended up being MORE special because we were on our own.

I let Tanner make a mess with finger paints on a poster board and he LOVED that. And it is a great keepsake of his first birthday.


Then when daddy got home from work we went into the backyard to play bubbles! He liked the bubbles but didn't last long outside because he wasn't feeling too good. We took a video but I'm not going to show it because it ended with him throwing up. :(



Our dinner was made up of his favorite finger foods and of course after dinner came dessert! I had so much fun making this little fish & bubbles cake for Tanner.


Before:



During:



After:



We blew up lots of balloons and put up streamers and let him play and make a big mess and then we opened up his presents! I think his favorite was the blocks!



Okay, and maybe they were my favorite, too!


All in all it was a great day! It was our fifth anniversary, too, which we totally didn't celebrate because we were too wrapped up in making it special for Tanner. Oops! We'll have to work on that next year. Thanks for the cards and presents and birthday/anniversary wishes from family and friends! We love you guys!

8 comments:

Heather said...

Such a sweet poem, Corri. And that cake is adorable, too! Tanner has such a good mama.

Jewel said...

Tanner is so sweet...I'm sorry he wasn't feeling too well on his big day!!

Alyse Clonts said...

I can't believe he's one already! It's so weird how fast time goes by!

F Montierth said...

Wonderful poem! What a wonderful way of celebrating your anniversary than celebrating the life you guys brought together into this world!

Megan & Danny Slade said...

Awww, I can't believe he is one already!! He is such a handsome little boy. I also love your poem. I wish I had that kind of talent!

Heidi said...

That's too bad that he was sick, but it sounds like you guys still had a full & fun day. Your kids birthdays are always a hectic day so I wish you guys all the luck in trying to find time to celebrate your anniversary in the future.

Anonymous said...

gosh!! Tanner is so fetchin cute!!! He's so big too! I miss you guys! can't wait to see you on friday!

Julee said...

Awe...he is too flippin' cute!!! I love 1st birthdays! And btw I LOVE your cake you made!! Fancy!!!! Hope you are doing well! :)