Friday, January 29, 2010

Idiota: Latin Word for Idiot

Nah, I just made that up.  Spanish, maybe?  I don't really know.  I just didn't want to title this post, "Hey, I'm an IDIOT!" even though that really is what I am.  I also considered the title, "Things That Go *BEEP* in the Night" but decided against it. 

I haven't been sleeping that great for a while now for different reasons.  I've been experiencing some back problems and our bed is getting old and less comfortable.  But one of the main reasons I've been feeling tired is really no ones fault but my own... 

Sunday night (or rather VERY early Monday morning) I was sound asleep until I heard an obnoxiously loud *BEEP* sound.  It took me a second to come to and realize that it was our smoke alarm.  It wasn't beeping constantly, just every minute or so to let us know that the battery was dying.  My first instinct was to smack Nate and say, "Hey, ya big lug, go take care of that!"  BUT I remembered quickly that he had to get up early and go distribute drugs to the people of America, so I didn't.  I also wondered how the heck he slept through that annoying sound!  

In my extremely sleepy state I got up and scrambled to pull the alarm down in the dark and buried the stupid thing under three pillows on the couch & decided I'd deal with it in the morning.  The next morning a friend stopped by to visit and I saw the pillow pile on the couch and remembered the alarm.  I moved it from the couch to the entertainment center so she and I could sit and visit and I intended on taking it apart once she had left.  But the thing never made a peep so I forgot about...all day long it sat quietly, just waiting for us to go to bed, get cozy and warm and fall into a deep and wonderful slee ZzzZzzzzzZzzzz........ *BEEP*!!!!!
It woke me up again!  So I repeated the same ordeal as the night before; scramble out of bed, freeze, grumble to myself as I walk to the entertainment center, try to find it in the dark, knock over a pile of dvd's...

Anyway, you get the picture.  And again I threw the loathsome, stupid thing on the couch and buried it under pillows VOWING that this time I would take care of it in the morning and I stumbled my way back to bed.  
Fast forward to the next morning....

I had just finished rushing around getting Nate off to work while Tanner played in the living room.  Nate had just left and all of a sudden I hear
*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP!
Tanner had found the dumb thing under the pillows and pressed the button to make it go off.  We were both going to be deaf soon so I hurried and grabbed it from him hit the button to make it stop and set it on the entertainment center so I could pick Tanner up since it had startled him.  Bet you can't guess what happened next......Yep, I forgot about it...again.  So basically it went like this again that night:
ZzzzZZzzzz.... *BEEP!* DANGIT!!!!!! 

So after three stupid nights of losing sleep because of my inability to just remember to take out one little battery, Nate took it out for me this morning and I am looking forward to getting a nice rest tonight.  GOOD NIGHT! 
 

10 comments:

Heather said...

This is so funny to me because really, would it have taken more time to just pop the battery out then it did to bury it in pillows? Haha, you're awesome, man. I want to come visit. :(

Corri said...

Hence the Idiot comment. :) Love you!

Corri said...

And I don't think straight when I'm sleepy.

Reeds said...

That is hilarious, I would probably do the same thing. In fact my smoke alarm would randomly beep-and we let it go on for about a month-and pretty much got used to it and ignored it that whole time(even with it beeping in our room). It was a completely random beep and we had checked the battery in the beginning and it didn't need changed-so instead of going further into the problem, we just tried to ignore it. Now you aren't the idiot, that would be ME! :)

XO said...

Funny. We just had to change our smoke alarm battery too. Must be going around...

Jenn said...

We have totally been there! Except I made matt get up and try and figure it out :) And I agree with the impaired judgment/no common sense when you are sleepy thing! We are totally in that boat with you!

{Jeff+Elisa} said...

Ha ha...funny story. So at my parent's house they refused to ever change the batteries in our smoke alarm so I pretty much just grew accustomed to the beeping sound and after awhile never noticed it anymore but anytime we had friends come over they would always complain about! I'm glad you changed it though! :)

Heidi said...

LOL! The stupid things always wait for you to go to bed. Ours always do that too. Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever had ours beep during the daytime, always at night!(Well except for when I burn something on the stove,shhhh don't tell anyone!)

Tamra and Jim said...

Hi, Corri. Enjoyed your story. (This is Danica's mom.) Just doing some random blog stalking. Hope you don't mind. You're funny and a great friend to boot!

A. L. Martin said...

I just read this for the second time and just about wet myself laughing AGAIN. haha. Don't worry- My CO2 detector does that too....and i want to KILL it.